mercredi 30 janvier 2008

Culture in Classrooms

Hi everyone,
Today in my Pedagogy class we talked about the importance of Culture in classrooms and their use. Some people say that to integrate Culture is to talk about it through main themes: beliefs, gastronomy, mentality, academics, etc. I say that Culture should be integrated as a medium of instruction. What I mean by that is that we should use well-known Riddles, Limericks, Poems, Children's Literature, and more, to teach our students about grammar, pronunciation, vocabulary, etc. This way, the children would be exposed to real English resources, they would get familiar with popular authors such as Dr. Seuss and they would learn the language the way native speakers do. In addition, upon listening to the riddles and songs, they would learn new vocabulary and hear the phonetic pronunciation, the way it should be.
Which of these statements do you agree with?
- Teaching culture as a subject.
- Using culture as a medium of instruction.

2 commentaires:

- -Vincent_Millar- - a dit…

I must agree with what you said. One can not teacvh the language and omit the culture. They are intertwined. The culture is what fuels the substance of the language. Sactly.

Simon a dit…

I totally agree with you. I believe that culture should be used a medium, not as specific things you need to teach about a specific culture. I grew up in a francophone environment, and I would have loved to learn limericks and to read doctor seuss in my ESL class !!!