mercredi 30 janvier 2008

University student - ESL teaching

Hi everyone!!!

I am a Laval University ESL Teaching student and I would LOVE to hear what you have to say!!! It can be about Teaching, about Students, about Culture, about Subjects of Teaching, etc!!! Anything you want!! You have questions, answers, comments, or ideas, feel free to share it on my blog!!!
YOU ARE the factor that will make my blog alive, so please DO!! :)
Thank you so much & can't wait to see what you have to say!!!

XxViKY xX

4 commentaires:

Sara Ann Sexton a dit…

Hey Viky!
You look like a sweet girl!
Can't miss your picture anyways!lol
Can't wait to read more of your postings!

Xo Xo

Anonyme a dit…

How interesting!!! So I assume you are from Quebec, which makes the cultural debate very pertinent! But to keep the debate at the national level (rather than french vs english canada) how about the spelling of words like "honour" (vs honor) or colour??? We were originally a British colony... do we retain their spelling or revert to American english?? I for one think we should resist American-ization....

- Chris

ViKY a dit…

Well Chris,

I am happy to see that you noticed details like the way I spelt "honor" in my introduction of myself! Interestingly enough, I use the "honour" version normally, as in "colour, neighbour, flavour, or favourite" instead of "color, neighbor, flavor, or favorite". However, when it came time to write "Honor's Bachelor", I was confused so I searched the www.dictionary.com site to make sure which way to write it.

My findings were that "honour" is the British writing, whereas "honor" is the American way. The latter site being American, they favoured "honor", which left me wondering how I should write it?

That's when I searched my Ottawa University application form which used the "honor" spelling. I assumed it would be the "best" way of writing it since it is the name of the program I applied for.

Now, concerning your debate about originally being a British colony, I completely agree with your point. Unfortunately for your strong argument against "Americanization", our teachers do not insist on writing either version, the importance resides in consistency. As for my point of view, I simply like the British way better, visually. As a future teacher, I will keep your argument in mind and have my students write "honor" the "honourable" way!! ;)

Thanks for your comment!!

Sara Ann Sexton a dit…

I see someone hasn't been updating their blog ... Shame on Youuu !